Tuesday 1 April 2014

Evaluation: Question two - draft

How does your media product represent particular social groups?

My magazine, STACK, has a main target audience of males ageing from late teens to mid-twenties, with a psychographic of explorer, therefore, placing my audience into the demographic of C1-D.  
For this reason I want the artists and bands included to be portrayed as attractive and quirky. "People can stand in a gallery and be in awe of the art, so why can't they do the same for my sleeve. I wouldn't mind if someone just stood and stared at my arms." Because the language and interview is so laid back, it creates that easy going yet attractive approach that Brad Spectre has, which is then reinforced with comments like, "God I'm a rambler!". 

Added to this, the simplistic costume he is dressed in, plain white t-shirt, denim over coat and black jeans, gives that cool, explorer and 'not caring' feel to his identity. Of which is the type of person the audience would want to be like and look up to. As the ‘gig’ scene is stereotypically aimed at the younger generations, and the photos of Brad Spectre are mainly taken at one of his gigs, it meets their ever demanding need for updated information on the latest and hottest music artists and events. It also represents that easy going persona that Brad has.

In order to widen my circulation and improve my audience readership, my magazine also has aspects that attract other social groups. For example, this is done by the artists changing in each edition, therefore appealing to differing audiences. However, their style and portrayal will be similar, as it follows the 'Indie' persona seen throughout my magazine.

1 comment:

  1. You've misunderstood this- representation is how people are portrayed- are you showing band members to be hedonistic, attractive and quirky for example and how have you shown this through language, dress etc. You can link to audience but how they are PRESENTED in your mag.

    ReplyDelete