Thursday 24 April 2014

QUESTION 7: Looking back at your preliminary task, what do you feel you have learnt in the progression from it to the full product?



In my pictures here, you can clearly see the detail needed when constructing a magazine or any media product in that matter.

During the preliminary task process I learnt a lot of valuable information, for example, I learnt that the layout is one of the most important codes and conventions in a magazine. Although the content is very important, you can easily lose an audience if the features aren’t positioned and styled in an attractive and non-confusing manner. Thus creating a professional media platform. In my preliminary task I used simple layouts which, upon looking back on were very dull and wouldn't attract someones eye if on a shop shelf. In particular I wanted to ensure that the sizing and proportion of my title and pictures were accurate, this meaning I had to make sure it was the biggest font on the page. I also thought my preliminary task followed the codes and conventions of a typical music magazine well, for example, I used three main colours throughout which followed the style of the school logo.
Although in my final product I still used that simplistic style to represent my indie genre, I made sure it was presented in a more attractive manner, for example; on my double page spread, I cut up the main image and pulled parts out, creating that broken effect. That broken effect can then symbolise the common view on tattoos.
Also from my preliminary task I came up with the branding of the red line going through my logo, this of which then went on to be used in my final product. If I had not of done the preliminary task I would not of known how to use the technology needed (mainly Serif Page Plus and Photoshop), and thereforewouldn’t have had an idea of how to convey my ideas coherently and in professional manner. Serif in particular needed some getting used to before creating my coursework product. If I hadn't of learnt before hand, my piece wouldn't look and feel professional, therefore not appealing to my audience.
Although I felt my preliminary was successful, there was still room for improvement when it came to my final product. In order to do this, I did thing such as;
  • using more appropriate images which reflected my indie genre
  • kept thinking back to mise-en-scene in order to portray specific qualities to my target audience
  • adding more tag lines and sub headings onto the front page, making it fuller and 'jam packed' with information for the reader.
  • using a range of ICT by varying shapes and sizes throughout my pages.

No comments:

Post a Comment